The difference between a regular lawn mower and a cordless lawn mower is staggering. If you ever get the opportunity to use both, you’ll quickly realize that not having a cord tied to your electric lawn mower can be so liberating and freeing. You’ll now be able to reach areas you could previously not reach and get the job done a whole lot faster! At the same time, many of the best cordless lawn mowers are surprisingly pretty affordable as well as effective making them great purchases all across the board. Truly, it is a win-win situation with the purchase of such a device.
Eventually, these mowers will overtake traditional lawn mowers. They are still (relatively) new and plenty of people have not yet upgraded. Apart from commercial pieces of property where a zero turn mower would be most efficient, these products are probably the best choices for most homeowners. It comes as no surprise to us that sales of lawn mowers which are cordless are rising steadily every single year. The fact that they’re affordable makes it all even more logical.
The Best Cordless Lawn Mowers Of 2021
1. Greenworks 20-inch 40V Twin Force Cordless Lawn Mower
So many companies are now pushing out cordless lawn mowers that it is making it difficult for reviewers like us to differentiate the good from the bad. The one company however that caught our eye time and time again was Greenworks. Just by taking a quick glance at their product listing, you’ll find thousands upon thousands of reviews raving about how great the mower is. We couldn’t wait to try it out, and once we did we realized why there was so much positive feedback. Click here to read our review of this product.
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery System powers multiple tools for complete yard work system–includes (1) 4AH Battery, (1) 2AH Battery, and Charger
- 20-Inch cutting deck offers a great balance of maneuverability and cutting capacity making it ideal for mid-sized areas
- Innovative Smart Cut technology adjusts for power or runtime based on the thickness of your grass
- Dual blades offer better cut quality, superior mulching and bagging capabilities. Automatic battery switchover pulls power from the second battery once the first is depleted to eliminate downtime
- Easy to push through any yard, while the 10 inch rear and 7 inch front wheels allow maximum maneuverability.
Though it is slightly more expensive than the Greenworks, this cordless lawn mower is one of the greatest we have had the privilege of reviewing. It is just as easy to use as most of the other cordless mowers we’ll talk about yet it is significantly stronger in many ways. Each charge gives you up to 45 minutes of life when using the Snapper and that is more than a sufficient amount of time. The only reason that this mower is not listed as the very best cordless lawn mower is because the Greenworks has a better price-value ratio. Otherwise, this lawn mower is probably a little bit better than the competition. Read our Snapper XD review to learn more.
- Up to 45-minutes run time with the Briggs & Stratton 82V lithium ion 2.0Ah battery – Kit comes with 2 each of the 2Ah lithium ion battery. Charge Time (min):2 Ah: 13 (50%), 30 (100%) 4Ah: 25 (50%), 60 (100%). Run Time (min):Up to 45-minutes (with each full 2Ah battery charge)
- 21″ Steel mowing deck with 3-in-1 design – mulch, bag or side discharge grass clippings easily
- Smart, efficient load sensing technology – power adjusts to meet the demands of the cutting blades
- Push button start and a single-lever, 7-position height-of-cut adjustment
- Large 1.6-bushel bagger
3. Black+Decker CM2040 3-in-1 cordless mower
This lawn mower may look a bit unconventional in some ways. Actually, some might even say it is an unconventional mower in the way that it performs. Really though, this is one of the better zero turn mower choices you have. You can really feel the strength of the mower when using it on a smaller piece of lawn. You’ll never have to repeat patches because the product gets it on the first try. In many ways, you could say it is similar to Ariens’ Zoom 34 and 42 which are both pretty strong in their own right. At the same time though, there have been a few individuals who have complained about this cordless mower being “less than durable”. It really has been a hit or miss – some people love it while others don’t. Our experience with this Black+Decker cordless lawn mower was a very positive one. Read our review of the CM2040 for more.
- Includes (2) 2.5Ah – 40V MAX Lithium Batteries for longer cutting time
- 20-inch wide cutting path
- 6-setting height adjustment from 1-1/2 inch to 4 Inch high
- 15 gallon nylon grass collection bag
EGO Power+ is a company we had no prior experience with before this review. Turns out they’re pretty great! It’s foldable, quiet, lightweight, and electric. Actually, the EGO Power+ cordless lawn mower is really, really quiet. Of all the mowers we look at (including zero turn and traditional), this is by far the most quiet. So if you highly value the noise level of your lawn mower and garden products, you should strongly consider buying this product. Other than that, we don’t have any complaints about the model. As far as difficulty goes, they don’t get much easier to control than this product.
- Compatible with all EGO power+ arc lithium batteries
- 20 in. cut capacity
- Weather-resistant construction
- 3-in-1: mulching/bagging/side discharge
- Folds easily for compact storage
Again, we have a Greenworks product on our list. This time a Pro variant. They did not build this mower as well as they did with the Twin Force. We’ve found it to be around the same level of power, but unfortunately it does not hold up as well. Ours did not face any problems per se, but we’ve heard a few horror stories. The positive is that it’s extremely quiet and is very effective. Along with that, there are not many cordless lawn mowers on the market which are easier to use and handle. By reading our review, you’d think that this is actually the best cordless lawn mower to buy. If it weren’t for the bugs and issues in regards to durability, it may have made the top 3 on our list. Read our review to learn more about this product.
- Never stop cutting. Up to 60 minutes of run time with fully charged 4.0AH battery
- Battery and charger not included
- Greenworks brushless motor provides your tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool
- Smart-Cut Technology improves performance and extends run-time
- 21-inch steel deck with 3-in-1 design for mulch, side discharge or rear bag capability
- Battery and charger sold separately, compatible battery and charger models GBA80200, GBA80400 and GCH8040
Gardena was a company that was foreign to us at first. Though we had not reviewed it previously, we decided to give it a chance given the raving positive reviews. After a few hours with it, we came to realize that it was certainly a worthy candidate for the best cordless lawn mowers of 2020. The most common complaint across the board is the battery life. For the most part, it isn’t the best. You’ll usually be lucky to get out 30 minutes of battery life (most get about 20). Apart from that, there hasn’t been much to complain about with the Gardena. It was moderately powerful.
- Can also be used without rechargeable battery as a conventional reel lawnmower.
- LED display indicates battery charge level. Graphics base frequency: 200 MHz
- Cutting height is easily and infinitely adjustable using a handy controller and cutting-height scale.
- Ergonomically shaped handle, featuring conveniently positioned switch, makes it easy to push the lawnmower.
- Powerful, easy-care, 25 V lithium-ion battery for powerful cutting performance, replaceable.
The materials of this particular cordless mower don’t feel exactly premium. It was something that caught us off guard when first receiving the package, but as we got to spend more time studying the mower we realized it wasn’t so bad. As it turns out, it is one of the most quiet lawn mower choices you can go with. The battery should also give you up to 45 minutes of life, though that is a bit of a stretch. More often than not, we got around 30 – 35 minutes of life of a full charge.
- 21″ steel cutting deck features a 3-in-1 design, allowing you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge grass clippings
- High-efficiency 60V brushless motor with push-button start provides more power, torque, and longer life without the hassle of gas
- Stores vertically, taking up less space in your garage or shed for added convenience
- 7-position, single-lever height adjustment allows you to achieve the perfect cut on all grass types
- Battery and Charger Not Included
If you did not know any better, you might be led to believe that Greenworks has some sort of monopoly on the cordless lawn mower market! This would be wrong to assume. Just like Husqvarna is one of the better known zero turn mower companies (MZ61, Z246), such is the case with Greenworks. They are the best known company that produces these because of the quality of their work – they truly don’t get much better than this. The power, noise reduction, and battery life are all excellent.
- Uses our Efficient 40V Lithium Battery System
- 17” deck is versatile and light weight
- 2-in-1 feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability for multiple use
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range from 1-1/4 inch to 3-3/8-inch for the best cut in all environments
- Up to 34% of U.S. homes only need one charge to get the job done
Sun Joe’s electric cordless lawn mower is one that is better suited for smaller lawns. It takes about 5 hours to charge up the battery which is fair, though you only get about 30 – 45 minutes of battery life when using it. If you have a large lawn, then this is probably not the best option for you. Other than that, the lawn mower is generally pretty smooth and quiet to use. The wheels and frame can feel a bit clunky sometimes, which is not ideal for mowing.
- Best use; Small to mid-sized lawns
- Built-in push-button LED Battery level indicator
- Removable safety key prevents accidental starts
- Peak performance 28 V 5 Ah rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery for up to a quarter Acre of continuous mowing per charge
- ETL approved; full 2-year Warranty
The worst of the best is the Earthwise 60418 18-Inch cordless lawn mower. The first thing we noticed is that the battery is a lot more powerful on this lawn mower than on previously reviewed Earthwise lawn mowers. This made for faster charging and longer-lasting battery life, which is always a positive. However, the battery life is only relative to previously reviewed models. In general, it is still best used for smaller lawns and does not last as long as the other models on our list. If you have a small lawn, you can consider this as a fair option at the price.
- TWO 40V lithium Ion batteries included
- 3-in-1 side discharge/mulch/rear bag
- LED battery monitor and zone starting / safety bar
- Single lever height adjustment 1.5″ to 4″
- Ergonomic foldable handle and large wheels
What makes a cordless lawn mower great?
Just like with many other products in this category, there are a few signs which you can use to determine if a cordless mower is worth your money. These are some of the factors that you can use to decide if a cordless mower is great or not:
- Noise Level – Every year, this factor becomes more and more important. People are increasingly valuing a quiet lawn mower over a louder one. This means that people are now paying a lot of attention to the noise level of their lawn mowers.
- Ease of Assembly – This is more of an optional element. Not all of these products require assembly, but many still do. Unless you’re an unorthodox person, you probably don’t want to spend too much of your precious time assembling a mower. That tells us ease of assembly is something to think about.
- Power – Most of the cordless lawn mowers you will find on our list are the same in terms of power, more or less. However, there still are a few which vary in terms of strength so we should pay attention to this piece of the puzzle.
- Battery Life – On top of battery life, we should also mention charge time. These two ingredients are very, very important to most people. Some of the cordless lawn mowers we have mentioned are pretty notorious for having poor battery life so make sure you look out for them if it’s something concerning to you.
Selection of the best cordless mower
Again, you’re faced with the tough decision of having to pick just 1 product, therefore you must be careful. Essentially all of these products are best used in smaller areas. The differences between them are things such as power, noise level, and battery strength. Because of the amount of things to factor in, actually selecting a product is pretty overwhelming. How can you possibly know which is the best option? As we always mention, look at the reviews. They can and almost always do give you a ton of insight into whether or not you should buy a product.
When you’re ready to buy a cordless lawn mower, you are going to spending some time looking at the details. Every single “small” aspect of the product will matter at this point. Try to read as many different reviews as you can to see as many different perspectives as you possibly can. There are many angles you can take to look at all products. No product ever has strictly positive reviews; any logical person can understand that there will always be faults and malfunctions.
If you are able to somehow find a product that has overwhelmingly positive reviews and few negative ones, then you can consider yourself lucky. Not many lawn mowers exist that are generally loved all around – most have a decent chunk on unhappy customers. Our first Greenworks product for example was such a product – there are a ton of happy reviewers and few unhappy ones. This is something we also factored in while making our list. If you’re a person that does not have time to manually mow your lawn, you may want to check out Husqvarna’s robotic mowers. Alternatively, you might want to check out the best mowers for small yards if you are someone that has a smaller lawn to deal with.
Cordless lawn mowers are absolutely awesome. They’re quiet, mobile (no cord to trip over), and mostly pretty inexpensive. When you make them self-propelled, they get even better. Next to string trimmers, and lawn edgers, they are probably the easiest gardening care products to use. We will certainly see more and more cordless lawn mowers replacing traditional mowers over time. Apart from extremely large lawns and commercial areas, cordless mowers are the most practical products you can choose for frequent use! The biggest downfall of these mowers is that they don’t last the longest. Still, about 45 minutes to an hour should be enough for most people. These were the best cordless lawn mowers and we hope you love them!